top of page



     This manual has been prepared to help you home school your high school student and plan their course of study. It is important to understand how home schooling works and to discuss and even write out goals before choosing courses and curriculum for high school. Assistance and counsel is available through Sunland's office. In home schooling a high school student, the following guidelines should be considered:

 1.  Course of Study-Graduation Requirements
2.  Future Vocational Plans
3.  Future Educational Plans
4.  Personal Interest and Aptitudes
5.  Achievement and Ability in various subject areas



     High school students who are home schooled (as of summer 2002), if transferring to a public school, may find certain public school districts refusing to accept their credits. Individual families who experience this challenge may appeal the public school's position, which then legally allows Sunland to participate in attempting to help a student's credits be recognized. While Sunland is accredited with the National Independent Study Accreditation Council (NISAC), this accreditation may not be recognized by all public school districts. Accreditation is an accountability process among peer organizations, establishing recognition that a school has met certain educational and operational standards. NISAC was established by home school administrators with the assistance of California public school officials.

     Home schooled students can successfully graduate from high school without accreditation by using a variety of resources. Group classes, college courses, online instruction, curriculum on CD, and tutoring are just a few of the possible means for completing one's course of study for a high school diploma. Any student receiving a diploma from a private school can successfully enroll in any community college in California.

     Colleges and universities are not an issue concerning accreditation. Making a transition from high school directly to an university, for a home schooled student, can be difficult.  For more information see the section on the Universities of California.


     Home schooling can be rewarding for you and your student, but it can also offer challenges. Various factors play a role in successfully home schooling. These factors can even change as one begins to home school. Items such as, your student's personality, study skills, self-motivation and personal interests, as well as your own perspective and skills as a parent-teacher need to be considered.

     Some families home school because their student lacks study skills or self-motivation and needs the one-on-one attention. On the other hand some home school because their student has these skills and is being held back in a traditional school setting.

     Parents are sometimes concerned if they home school their student, the student will fall behind or fail. While each experience is different, most parents are pleasantly surprised when they begin to see home school working for their student. Most parents won't know if home school will work for them until they've tried. You won't ruin your child, and you can change their schooling approach at any time. 


     California education code requires a minimum of 175 days in a school year. This usually works out to be ten months of schooling with an average of five days per week. Some families home school year-round and set a schedule which works for them (Examples: Three months on, one month off. Three weeks on, one week off.) While a student might learn at an accelerated pace and complete the course curriculum in less then a year (then beginning the next grade level curriculum) one cannot accrue more than one school day in a 24 hour period. Student's can complete high school in less than four years, but proper tracking of the process and verification of the progress is important.

     Once the courses to be studied and curriculum to be used have been determined, families are encouraged to setup a schedule and routine with their student to set a pace for the year. Sometimes college courses or group classes are a part of the week's studies. Some families require the study of each subject per day while others may study Bible, English, Math and History on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays, and Bible, English, Math and Science on Tuesday and Thursday. Others might study one separate topic per day, such as Bible on Monday, English on Tuesday, etc.

     Completing the academic courses, studying the minimum number of hours per day and days per year, along with earning passing grades or better are important parts of a successful home school process. Creative means for accomplishing these goals are always encouraged, as long as they are not short cuts which short change a student in their studies. home schooling goals should be to help a student mature and grow in character, develop study skills, learn the academics, nurture gifts and talents and prepare them for adult life.


     While students are usually in traditional school approximately six hours per day, research tells us they only receive 52 minutes of actual instruction per day. When a high school student is home schooled, a minimum of three hours of study per day is required by law, but in most cases (to properly study their academics) students may need four to five hours. Many first-time home schooled students feel they learned more in the first month of home schooling than they did all year long during the previous school year.

     The time of day used for study may depend on each student. Parents should have final say, but need to take into consideration their student as they set a schedule. Some students are early morning people while others need to start mid-morning. If a student, without much supervision, can complete the work given to them each day by a required time, with passing grades in the work, parents may not need to set an hour-by-hour schedule. But for most students, daily supervision helps them keep on track. "Students don't do what you expect, they only do what you inspect" (Terry Neven). No matter how well a student is doing in their studies, parental interaction (grading their work, discussing problems, nurturing study skills, exploring long term goals) is an important ingredient for experiencing a successful home school year.



     A course description of your student's classes must be filled out by the parent and/or school staff, and is important in tracking your student's academic course of study. The course description is due before or at the beginning of the school year. Each course needs to be fully defined and identified.  Following is a brief explanation of the different type of courses: formal, informal, college class, and group class.

    Formal courses - A standard publisher's textbook or curriculum is used. A definition of the course is understood based on the curriculum.

    Informal classes - These courses are designed by parents/teachers to be conducted in lieu of a  standard publisher's textbook or curriculum, or as an alternative means for teaching a course. Examples of such classes include the following: dance, art, piano, work experience, and home economics.

    College classes - A course may be taken at either a local community college, vocational school or occupational center, or a university. These courses provide the student with credit toward high school course requirements and also count as college credits if it is a college level course.

    Group classes - Group classes are settings where students are instructed with their peers in a group.  Courses of this type are provided by organizations such as Biola's Star Program, and Sunland group classes.  Instructors become responsible for the course of study, lesson plans, and grading.   Parents are still required to oversee the completion of students' homework.



      1. Course Verification Form - To receive credit for your student, this form is required and must be turned in with the semester grades for these courses:  Group classes, college classes, and most informal classes. Informal courses needing a verification form are courses taken outside of the home by an instructor other than the parent.  You don't need the form for courses such as physical education, work experience, career planning, typing, and Bible (if Bible is taught by the parent).  A sample of this form is included in this manual.

     2. Driver's Education - Driver's Education is for Sunland students.  See the Driver's Education section for more information.

     3. Work Experience - See Work Experience section for work permit and work experience information.

     4. College Courses - Students may take classes from a local community college and received credit toward graduation.  If you choose, the student may also receive college credit.   A copy of the transcript or report card for the college is required for Sunland credit.  If a college semester course is worth 3 or more units, it is worth 10 credits or 1 full year for high school credit.

     5. Electives - Electives can be academic or non academic courses. If your student has met the required courses for a specific topic (example, 2 years of science), then a third year would qualify as an elective course (see sample listing of elective courses).

     6. Career Planning - This course can be designed to help a student discover their vocational skills or plan a course of study tailored to a known vocational interest.  A requirement for this course, along with course work completed, is a student resume to be turned into the school office.



     1. A COURSE DESCRIPTION is due at the start of your student's school year. The courses need to be approved by the high school counselor before any credit will be awarded.

     2. GRADES need to be turned in four times a year--at the 1st quarter, 1st Semester (combining 1st and 2nd quarters) 3rd quarter, 2nd semester (combining 3rd and 4th quarters).  Final transcripts are typed by the office and sent to you at the end of each semester.  

     3. An ATTENDANCE RECORD is to be kept recording each day your student completes a school day.  A minimum of 3 hours per day, for 175 days per school year are required by the state.

     4. To assist a student in noting what courses have been accomplished and which ones need to be completed, Sunland has created a High School Worksheet for its students.




High School Course Description



ADDRESS: ______________________________________________________________

CITY: _______________________________STATE: ______________ZIP: ___________

School Year: __________________Date: _______________

(Follow the outline below to write a course description for each course being taken this year).
1.   List the title of the course (English 9, World History, Physical Science, Pre-Algebra)
2. List the title and publisher of the curriculum to be used (textbook, workbook, etc.)
3. Indicate the length of the course (1 year, 1st semester, 2nd semester)
4.   List the number of credits per course (1 year = 10 credits, 1 semester = 5 credits


                                                                                 Grade Earned         1st Qtr 1st Sem 2nd Qtr    2nd Sem

Bible      ___________________________                                                ______   ______   ______     _______
Course Title   Formal/Informal/College/Group Class
Curriculum Title and Publisher
Description (If course is informal)
Length of Course                                                                     Number of Credits


_________________________      ___________________________            ______    ______    ______    _______
Course Title                                                     Formal/Informal/College/Group Class
Curriculum Title and Publisher
Description (If course is informal)
Length of Course                                                                     Number of Credits


___________________________      ___________________________      ______   ______   ______     _______
Course Title                                                     Formal/Informal/College/Group Class
Curriculum Title and Publisher
Description (If course is informal)
Length of Course                                                                     Number of Credits

__________________________   ___________________________              ______   ______   ______     _______
Course Title                                                     Formal/Informal/College/Group Class
Curriculum Title and Publisher
Description (If course is informal)
Length of Course                                                                     Number of Credits

___________________________  ___________________________            ______   ______   ______     ______
Course Title                                                     Formal/Informal/College/Group Class
Curriculum Title and Publisher
Description (If course is informal)
Length of Course                                                                     Number of Credits







(For Courses taught by someone other than the parent.  To be turned in with the semester grades for credits to be received for this course)


Dear Teacher,


Please take a moment to fill in and return this form to your student or their parents. The information will help us to confirm the student's enrollment, attendance and academic  performance in this course.

Name of Student______________________________________ Grade____________

COURSE TITLE________________________________________________________

START &  END DATE___________________________________________________

HOURS IN ATTENDANCE PER WEEK ___________________________________

Estimate the numbers of hours per week the student has homework or practice for this course (Approximately) ______________________________

Please Rate the student's performance and please circle one  --         1     2     3     4   5

(5=excellent; 4=above average; 3=average; 2=needs improvement; 1= poor)

What is the grade this student earned for the semester? ___________________________

Any further comments___________________________________________________________



________________________________________ ____________________

Signature      Date


13216 Leach St., Sylmar, CA 91342
818) 523-6791





13216 Leach St., sylmar, CA 91342
(818) 951-9652




Start date:_________________

Employee's Name:__________________________________________

Supervisor's Name:_________________________________________

Place of Employment:_______________________________________


     In order to receive work experience credit, a student must be given an evaluation of his/her on-the-job performance once every semester. Please circle one of the five numbered choices below which most accurately describes the employee's performance. Your cooperation is greatly needed and appreciated.


(5=Excellent; 4=Above Average; 3=Average; 2= Needs Improvement; 1=Poor.)


Effort:    1    2    3    4     5

Attitude:    1  2    3   4    5

Punctuality:     1   2   3   4    5

Attendance:      1   2    3    4    5

Dependability:     1     2     3   4    5

Personal Appearance:     1     2     3    4   5

Works Well With Others:    1   2    3   4    5

Neatness of Work Product:    1   2    3    4   5

Ability To Accept Responsibility:  1    2   3  4    5

Completion of  Work on Schedule:   1  2    3   4    5

Preparedness (physically and mentally):   1  2      3   4    5












      High school transcripts are created by the school office in verification of the courses taken and completed by each student. Course description forms are used to list the courses being taken and to communicate grades earned at the end of each semester. Once a Course description form is received by the office with grades at the end of each semester, a transcript is created or updated and a copy sent to the parents. Official copies of transcripts, for other schools, colleges or university are available upon request. One week is needed for processing such a request.





     Sunland Christian School requires yearly testing for all students in these grades: 3rd, 5th(Iowa Test), 7th - 11th. These tests are generally given each school year March-April.  The fee is $40 per Sunland student. Testing fee for students outside Sunland is $45 per student.

     One of the graduation requirements is for the student to pass the SAT(Stanford test) at the 10th grade level or above in English, Reading and Math. If the student achieves these levels in the 11th grade, then they DO NOT need to take the test in the 12th grade. If they did not, then we test the 12th grade students only in the areas they need to reach the 10th grade level.



     This is a test for college.  Most colleges require this test to be taken as a requirement for enrollment.  Most colleges look for high SAT scores and high GPA (grade point average) on high school transcripts for entrance eligibility and scholarships qualification. The SAT I Reasoning Test is divided into two sections: the verbal section tests your ability to read critically, and the mathematics section tests how well you apply concepts and interpret data. The SAT II Subject Tests, shows your strengths in specific academic areas.  This test is not required, but is helpful.

     You will need to register for these test at least 6 weeks in advance.  The tests are generally taken at a community college or high school in your local area. There are fees for these tests.  For fees and locations near you, call The College Board (West) at 408 452-1400 or online at or ask the high school counselor for the booklets called, Registration Bulletin for the SAT Program, Taking the SAT I: Reasoning Test & Taking the SAT II: Subject Tests.(these last two are sample test questions and tips.)

     The suggested time to have your student take the SAT for college is in the spring of their 11th grade year and fall of the 12th grade year. It can be taken as many times as you want, but typically students take the exam twice, so if the scores need improving, the student will have a chance to submit a second set. The tests are offered 6-7 times each year on specific dates only.

     Books can be used for preparing for the tests. The office usually has sample tests from The College Board, libraries carry books on preparing for the SAT, and most books stores sell these test preparation books.

     It is recommended that you register online, because mistakes are found immediately, therefore it is more efficient than mail registration where mistakes cause delays and missed deadlines.




     The ACT is required for certain colleges.  You can find out more about the ACT, and how to register in the following ways:, 319 337-1270, and ACT Registration Department, P.O. box 414, Iowa City, IA 52243-0414. (normal hours M-F, 8AM to 8 PM, central time). ACT Registration sends our school a few booklets for registration and a practice tests called Preparing for the ACT Assessment.



     Sunland Christian School administers this test in October each year. This test is given to high school 9th through 11th graders one time each year. It is a pre-test for the Scholastic Aptitude Test.  The scores come back in December. This is a helpful study tool to prepare the student for the SAT I.  There is a fee.



     Sunland does not encourage minor students to "graduate from home school high school" or become exempt from compulsory attendance by taking and passing the CHSPE. Federal government agencies, out-of-state universities, armed forces, etc., do not recognize the CHSPE as equivalent to a high school diploma. Depending on a student's motives and goals, a strategy can be established for graduating from high school early. Talk with a Sunland high school counselor for more information.



     The GED is an option in California for students who are seventeen years and ten months old or older. One may obtain information about the GED from a local community college, adult school or the State Department of Education, P.O. Box 271, Sacramento, CA 95802-0271.

     Most community colleges offer a course designed to help a student pass the GED. The GED is a life-skills test, designed to measure a student's ability to function in the adult world.

Sunland does offer enrollment for adults to assist them in completing their high school course requirements for graduation. Contact a high school counselor for more information.


     Sunland provides a special focus for those students who will be graduating from high school. Proficiency testing, course completion, and transcripts are a part of the administrative aspect.

     During the final year of high school (whether it is a student's third or fourth year), senior activities encourage comradary among the students and families. Some senior activities include: Senior breakfast, senior field trip, senior dinner and graduation ceremony with cap and gown.  Graduation is a wonderful event to invite family and friends as they celebrate high school graduation. 


     While certain courses may be used to meet high school course requirements, your student's specific talents and interests should be the main determiner of which courses to take.  Many times this will prepare them for the transfer from high school to a college or a university. 


1. College for the student currently in high school - Community colleges serve various needs for students.  Students may take courses, that they are academically eligible for, to fulfill  course requirements for a Sunland Christian School high school diploma. College credit can be earned at the same time in most cases. Each college may have a slightly different application process.


2. College after high school graduation - There are different types of colleges - Community Colleges, California State Colleges, Universities of California, Independent Colleges and Universities, Vocational Colleges, Technical Colleges and out of state colleges.

     Each college has their own admission policies. They may require tests or exams, as well as high school course requirements for entrance.  Each college should have a catalog and a web site.  Please check with the college for their requirements.  Below are helpful websites and phone numbers.


California State Universities:

California State University of Los Angeles: http:\\   (213) 343-CSLA(2752). This phone number is for Cal State L.A.'s Office of Admissions and University Outreach, Student Affairs 101.


First-Time Freshman Applicants Subject Requirements (for high school students)

Complete with a grade of C or higher, a comprehensive pattern of college preparatory study totaling 15 units.   A unit is one year of study in high school.


 English, 4 years.
Mathematics, 3 years: algebra, geometry, and intermediate algebra.
U.S. History, or U.S. History and government, 1 year.
Science, 1 year with laboratory:  biology, chemistry, physics, or other acceptable laboratory science.
Foreign language, 2 years in the same language(or demonstration of equivalent competence.)
Visual and performing arts, 1 year: art, dance, drama/theater, or music. 
Electives, 3 years: courses selected from English, advanced mathematics, social science, history,   laboratory science, foreign language, visual and performing arts, and agriculture.


Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities
1100 Eleventh St.  Suite 315
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916 446-7626
Fax: 916 446-7948

California Community


     Student Academic Services - (510) 987-97161). Pathways: UC's Online Admission Information & Application Network - 2). Application for Undergraduate Admission & Scholarships:$&Sense@UC 3). Information about Financial Aid and How to Finance a UC Education:


UC Requirements -Admission as a Freshman

     At present, the UC system is only allowing students that are home schooled to gain admission by testing, by taking their courses at the local junior college, or by passing the AP tests for individual classes. To satisfy the minimum requirement by examination alone, you must achieve a composite score of 31 or higher on the ACT or a total score on the SAT I of at least 1400.  In addition, you must earn a total score of 1760 or higher on the three SAT II: Subject Tests with a minimum score of 530 on each test.  You cannot qualify for admission by examination alone if you have completed 12 or more units of transferable coursework at a college or university following high school graduation, or if you have taken college courses in any subject covered by the SAT II: Subject Tests. 

     Sunland Christian School is in the process of setting up and getting approved a specific UC track set of courses. Outlined below are the high school academic courses required for admission to the University of California.  Each course must be completed with at least a grade of C. The requirement consists of 15 year -long courses, seven of which must be taken during the last two years in high school.  These are the minimum courses required for admission: students are encouraged to exceed these requirements whenever possible.

     History/Social Science-2 years, including one year of US history and one year of world history, cultures and geography.

English-4 years of college preparatory English that include frequent and regular writing, and reading of classic and modern literature. No more than two semester of 9th grade English can be used to meet this requirements

Mathematics-3 years of college preparatory mathematics that include the topics covered in elementary algebra, geometry, and advanced algebra (four years are recommended, including trigonometry and calculus.) These courses taken in the 7th and 8th grades may be used to fulfill this requirement if the high school accepts them as equivalent to its own courses.

Laboratory Science-2 years (three years are recommended) which provide fundamental knowledge in at least two of these areas--biology, chemistry, and physics. Laboratory courses in Earth/space sciences are acceptable if they have requisites or provide basic knowledge in biology, chemistry, or physics. No more than one year of 9th grade laboratory science can be used to meet this requirement.

     Language other than English-2 years of the same language, other than English(three to four years are recommended).  Courses should emphasize speaking and understanding and include instruction in grammar, vocabulary, reading, and composition.

     College Preparatory Electives-2 units, in addition to those required above, to be selected from the following subject areas: history, English, advanced mathematics, laboratory science, language other English, social science, and visual and performing arts.


     There are different ways to fund your college education. Never think that money should stand in the way of encouraging your student to pursue college or university! There is federal aid, state aid, scholarships, grants, loans and work study programs. Grants are need-based financial aid that does not have to be repaid. Loans are borrowed money that must be repaid with interest. Many student loans do not accrue interest or require first payment until nine months after you have exited school. Work study is the school assisting in locating a job related to your studies. Work study can be federal or state aid.


Federal Student Aid Information Center(FAFSA):,
1 800 4-FED-AID( 1 800 433-3243) or 1 800 801-0576      

EdFund: (Student loans),   916 526-7900

California Student Aid Commission:, 916 526-7590 (for questions about Cal Grants and other state programs.)

US Department of Education's "The Student Guide": student guide

Financial Aid Information Page:

Employment Trends:



     There are many scholarships available from educational institutions, corporations, government programs, and private organizations. The focus of a scholarship may vary from sports, academics, talents and skills, to leadership and community involvement. Scholarships can be based on need, merit, contest, or by the decision of a governing body.

     Many major corporations, local community organizations, and educational funds offer scholarships. Finding and applying for these scholarship can be time consuming, but rewarding. Libraries contain books listing corporations offering scholarships. Web searches can also yield leads. Sunland is developing a list of such scholarships. Many scholarships are offered annually, while others appear throughout the year.

     Some companies offer a service for a fee to apply for scholarships, grants and other forms of funding, for your student. (We suggest you do some verification before paying any individual or service. In the recent past, there has been an increase of scam artists in this field).

     Once a home schooled, high school student begins to take a community college course, they may use the services of the college to discover any available scholarships and the qualifications for applying for the scholarships.




     Helping students succeed in life as well as in school is one of the foundational goals of Sunland. There are different ways students can achieve success. For students to succeed in school and in life does not necessarily mean they must be an academically advanced student. While there are many resources to help academic students, it is important to encourage all students to succeed in whatever way or manner they can.  For some it will be in an academic field with college or university in mind. But that does not represent the path for all students. We want to encourage those who are called to the ministry, have giftedness, or who will do well in a trade, marketing, or hands-on type of vocation.  In order for Sunland to support all of our students, we endeavor to provide information that will help families find ways for their students to succeed without feeling that they are failing because they are not academically gifted.


Evaluation tools
     Some ways a student might decide which career would be best suited to their talents/gifts would be:  
1. An assessment test
2. Consultation with career or college counselor
3. Career test given at local college


Trade/Technical Schools

     There are approximately 100 careers you can learn in two years or less.  Hundreds of private vocational schools in California with varying tuition are accredited. Financial aid is often available, based on need.

Examples of Available Trade/Technical Careers:
      Actor, Air Conditioning Technician, Appliance Repairer, Auto Mechanic, Barber/Hairstylist, Blueprint, Reader, Broadcast Technician, Broadcaster, Computer Service Technician, Court Reporting, Data Processing, Dental Assistant, Dental Laboratory Technician, Diesel Mechanic, Draftsman, Electronics, Fashion Designer, Merchandising, Interior Designer, Gemologist, Heating, Inhalation Therapy Technician, Legal Assistant/Paralegal, Makeup Artist, Machinist, Medical Assistant, Medical/Dental Receptionist, Medical Office Manager/Assistant, Motion Pictures/Television Production, Optometric Assistant, Plumber, Tool and Die Designer, Travel Personnel, Vocational Nurse, Welder, Word Processor.

     Make sure the school's state license is current. It must be renewed each year and programs are subject to reevaluation every three years.  Ask the school about its placement rate, the number of graduates who find employment as a result of their training, and how much money graduates earn. Tour and examine the school's classrooms, equipment and textbooks.  Get information on financial aid programs and the school's refund policies if a student does not complete the program.  Make sure entrance exams seem designed to measure aptitude in the subjects taught. Many schools are criticized for enrolling students who clearly cannot do the work.  A school that does not seem concerned with student aptitude may not offer a serious and challenging program. Check your local phone book for locations of technical schools near you or go to for information online.




     Apprenticeship is a system of learning while earning and learning while doing. It combines training on the job, usually a skilled craft, with supplemental instruction at school. Young people work on the job with skilled journeymen to gain skills and knowledge. At the same time they are learning, they are earning and are part of a trade or industry.


      Apprenticeship training is offered in the samples of following vocational areas:
      Automotive, Barber/Cosmetologist, Boilermaker, Bricklayer, Carpenter, Carpet & Linoleum, Cement, Mason, Drywall Finisher (Taper), Drywall Lather, Electrician, Glazier, Heat & Frost Insulator & Asbestos, Worker, Heavy Duty Coach, Mechanic, Ironworker (Field), Landscape & Irrigation Fitter, Lithographer/Bookbinder, Meatcutter, Mill Cabinet, Millwright, Molder/Coremaker, Operating Engineer, Heavy Duty Repairperson, Painter, Pile Driver, Plasterer, Plumber/Pipefitter, Refrigeration Mechanic, Roofer, Sheet Metal Worker, Sprinkler Fitter, Stationary Engineer, Steamfitter, Surveyor, Tile Layer, Tile Finisher, Utility Pipeline Installer.

     Each program operates under apprenticeship training standards agreed to by labor and management in accordance with state and federal laws.  In those crafts in which management and labor organizations exist, each selects an equal number of members of the joint apprenticeship committee. The joint apprenticeship committee determines the standards for training of the craft and supervises the training of apprentices.

In many cases, the local joint apprenticeship committees have guidelines in the form of national and /or statewide standards recommended by the parent organizations. These are minimums, however, and the local groups usually have complete autonomy in developing and administering their own programs.



Qualifications For Apprenticeship:

     In practically every skilled trade, more than a fundamental knowledge of arithmetic is essential.  The ability to read, write, and speak well is more important in some than in others. Some trades prefer students who have taken shop courses and have some knowledge of mechanical drawing, blueprint reading, drafting, higher mathematics, chemistry, electricity, and/or welding.  Physical fitness, a good sense of balance, eye -hand coordination, color sense, strength, agility, ability to work at heights, and mechanical aptitude are desirable qualifications in many trades and essential in others. The minimum age for apprenticeship is 18.  High school graduation or the General Educational Developmnent (GED) test is required for many apprenticeship programs.


Steps an apprentice applicant should take:
1. Select a trade for which you have an aptitude, previous experience, and physical ability.
2. Find out if you meet the minimum qualifications for that trade.
3. Decide whether you can work under the job conditions of that trade, some of which may be hazardous, dirty, uncomfortable, or otherwise unpleasant.
4. Apply for an apprenticeship either directly to an employer in the trade, the Joint Apprenticeship Committee (JAC), the appropriate union, or the Employment Development Department (EDD). In areas where an apprenticeship information center is functioning, you can get the recommended procedure for submitting an application in your area.
5. Take aptitude or other tests if required.
6. If the JAC has a waiting list of applicants, decide whether you are interested enough in the trade to wait for an opening. In some trades, the JAC enourages applicants to find their own employers and will add to their approved list any firm which is qualified to give the training and which is willing to hire the apprentice.
7. You also may enter an apprenticeship after experience in the military or in industry.




     While all Christians are called to be ministers of God, some are called to full time ministry such as pastor, missionary, or minister of music.  Education for these challenging vocations can best be determined by talking with your pastor and a counselor at a Christian college such as: The Master's College, Life Bible College, or Dallas Theological Seminary.



Military Service Opportunities


The advantages of military service include the following:


Immediate Benefits:
1. Educational and career training (technical and professional)
    College degrees - associate, bachelor's, graduate
    Vocational or technical certificates
    Certificates of completion of civilian apprenticeship programs
2. Opportunity to become a commissioned officer through ROTC or military academies
3. Travel
4. Specific guaranteed training
5. Free medical and dental care
6. Lower cost commissary and postal exchange services
7. Guaranteed pay
8. Promotion opportunities
9. A cadre of trained consultants and counselors, wide resources and references


Long-term Benefits:

1. G.I. Bill
2. Scholarships and fellowships
3.  Pay bonuses
4.  30-day paid vacation every year
5.  Development of leisure time skills
6.  Certain housing, medical and educational services for families
7.  Low cost life insurance
8.  FHA In-Service Insured Loan for buying a home
9.  Lifetime retirement benefits after 20 years of service
10. In career civil service, the veteran has absolute job retention rights over all non-veteran Federal workers



Scholarships and Student Aid Programs:


     If you are willing to serve for a period of time in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or U.S. Coast Guard, you will find that some very generous scholarships and student aid programs are available to you.  In some cases, you can receive an education first and serve an equivalent amount of time in the military after you graduate.  There are also programs that permit you to enter the service first and accumulate money for an education while you complete your enlistment period.

     The college scholarships pay up to full tuition costs for up to four years of undergraduate study. Some scholarships also pay instructional fees, including the costs of textbooks. Students also receive a monthly living allowance for a period up to 40 months and pay for summer training and travel.  After college graduation you would be required to serve four years on active duty in the regular service as a commisssioned officer.

     All of the services may pay up to 90 percent of tuition costs (depending on the rank and length of service) when qualified servicemen/women take approved college courses.  This includes academic, vocational, technical, and independent study.


For more information, contact your local recruiting office.

Recruiting Offices:

U.S. Army 1-800-USA-ARMY (562) 699-2042
U.S. Navy 1-800-USA-NAVY (562) 925-2545
U.S. Air Force 1-800-423-USAF (562) 867-2265
U.S. Marine Corp. 1-800-Marines  (562) 925-8737
U.S. Coast Guard 1-800-424-8883

bottom of page